Tuesday 16 April 2013

Burlesquery

I have a confession to make. I am in two minds about Burlesque. I know that since it has been elevated to popular icon and all-round art form, that sisters have been bumping, grinding and generally doing it for themselves, wrapping themselves around Poles and other assorted eastern Europeans this last decade.
 
If I cast my mind back to-well, lets just say, slightly younger than I am now, it was Madonna who, most famously promoted the whole underwear as outerwear phenomenon. Who could forget the traffic cones and Great Aunt Maud's corsellete. Pantygirdles, once the automatic go to of an entire generation and spurned by anyone who was forced to endure watching their mothers inserting themselves into one, were now de rigeur.
 
But I digress, slightly, into the topic of another blogpost, that of vintage lingerie.
 
Burlesque is everywhere. It is steamy, sexy, wonderfully empowering and confidence boosting. But, am I wrong in wanting my sexy underwear kept as my own secret and whoever I care to show it to?  To preserve the mystique and the power behind sexuality, behind hot, seductive femininity, without having to Von Teese my cleavage and derriere everywhere.
 
And another thing. Pasties. Any fashion trend anywhere that gives us the name "Pasties" ought to be condemned. For those not in the know, Pasties are self-adhesive discs that you place over your nipples whilst engaging in Burlesquery- to preserve ones modesty. Dont make me laugh. if I want to preserve my modesty, I'll climb under the quilt. No amount of Swarovski crystals and tassels will convince me to put Pasties on my almost naked body. Having said that, Pasties of a Cornish persuasion have been known to crumble and turn up in my cleavage from time to time.
 
Despite my misgivings-Burlesque is a revolution and a revelation. It is a celebration of womanhood, but only if you want it. if you dare to bear less then dare to Burlesque. No lingerie store these days is complete without a racier range and they are often fantastically hot. Just looking at them and imagining myself in them empowers me to do all kinds of (un)imaginable things.
 
A woman in complete charge of her sexuality is a formidable thing.
Jilly xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment