Tuesday 16 April 2013

The Wonder of Stockings

I've come across a couple of surveys recently, where they have asked women to name the item of clothing that most sums up femininity for them. You may or may not be surprised to hear that number one in the girly stakes is the bra. Now, for me, that has always been my answer. Not that I have people knocking on my door with clothing-related femininity questionnaires daily. It's just solidly above any other item. Sure, I can dazzle and spin on my heels, I can swish and float and stun with the right dress and my personal obsession with babydoll nighties certainly takes some beating.
 
However, a bra, to me is femininity. It supports, cups, adorns, decorates, frames, reveals, displays,looks after, celebrates, and altogether reminds me of what it feels like to be a woman.
 
BUT-if the question had been , which item of clothing most sums up sexiness, well, I think that would have received a very different answer indeed. I dont know what you think, but there is only 1 answer as far as I am concerned that is stockings For as long as I can remember, whether it be a personal memory or feeling or one from television, film, magazine or book, those humble gossamer coverings scream sexiness.
 
They have reached iconic importance-think about it. They feel so sexy, whether from the slightly increased pressure at the top of a hold up or the tug of suspender strap from every single stride or movement. The Art of putting them on and taking them off is celebrated way above any other item of clothing.
 
They are the least expensive but the most wildly desired item of clothing. Men lose all sense when faced with them and women are glamorous vixens, masterful seductresses, homespun burlesque performers, cheeky teasettes, all-round, glorious, uber coquettish displays of POWER.
 
putting stockings on can be a sexual ritual, a private dance or a deliberate act of intent, but there is no way, no way at all to be neutral about stockings.
 
You know, the greatest thing about being a woman, is that you are free to try on not only the clothes that make you feel feminine or sexy, but the feelings, moods and personas that our clothes bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment